- This event has passed.
Seneca Landing / Riley’s Lock
April 18, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Volunteers will work from canoes to clean up Seneca Creek and the nearby Potomac River.
All volunteers at this site will be working in groups. One group of experienced whitewater paddlers may work downstream through rapids to take out at Pennyfield Lock . Other groups may work on the smooth waters of Seneca Creek and the Potomac River upstream. All volunteers in boats are required to wear life jackets. Boats, life, jackets, and paddles will be provided.
Volunteers who prefer to work on land are also welcome.
- County: Montgomery
- Site Type: River
- Watershed: Middle Potomac
- RSVP Required: Yes
- Suitable for children under seven?: Yes
- Who should participants contact for questions?: Kay Fulcomer
- Suitable for elderly?: Yes
- Phone/Email: KayFulcomer@gmail.com
- Suitable for disabled?: No
- Maximum Volunteers: 20
- Parking capacity: 20
- Restrooms available?: Yes
- Notes: This site is accessed from the Seneca Landing boat ramp (Montgomery Co. Parks) and is 1/10 th mile from Riley's Lock and the Seneca Aqueduct for the C&O Canal. Parking is plentiful. Participants will use canoes and kayaks to pick up trash and everyone is required to wear a life jacket. Caution is advised if the Potomac River has a high flow level, or if there are strong winds. Cleanups on the Potomac River can be made from this point with a shuttle and take-out at Violets Lock. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Those who prefer to stay on land are welcome to join other cleanup groups at the Rileys Lock site.
- Directions: From I-495 take Md route 190 west for 11.9 miles to a stop sign at Seneca Road. Turn left, go half a mile and turn left on Riley's Lock Rd. (If you cross the bridge and see the old white store on your right, you've gone too far.) Drive about .6 mile on Rileys Lock Road with the creek visible on your right. The boat ramp will be on your right and you will park in the big lot on your left.