Join Our Team
We are an environmental educational organization on the Potomac River, we’re excited to connecting people from all walks of life to the natural world through education, stewardship and advocacy.
Our Statement of Values
We are committed to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work and at all levels of staff and governance.
We honor the beliefs, attitudes, languages, interpersonal styles, and values of all individuals.
We are dedicated to enhancing opportunities for people with different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to collectively accomplish the mission of the Alice Ferguson Foundation.
Tell us your story
Check out our open positions below and see if our team is a good fit for you.
Please send all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Job Opportunities
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Development Coordinator – Full Time
Job Title: Development Coordinator
Full Time or Part Time: Full Time, Hybrid
Permanent or Temporary: Permanent
Reports to: Development Director
Salary Range: $48,000 – $53,000 – depends on experience
Position Summary: The Development Coordinator carries out development strategies including outreach, solicitation, cultivation, networking, follow up and stewardship of potential and existing corporate sponsors (40%), donor cultivation through solicitation campaigns and fundraising events (40%), and support for the other activities of the development team (20%).
- Support all development programs, including membership, individual giving, corporate sponsorships, and strategic partnerships.
- Assist with the development and execution of a comprehensive annual work plan including prospecting, cultivation, solicitations (telephone, mail and email), and stewardship.
- In partnership with AFF Executive Director and Development Director, cultivate corporate relationships through in-person meetings, facility tours, coordinated cleanups, and general communication activities.
- Maintain accurate prospect, donor, funder, and contact records in the database.
- Develop peer and industry relationships that result in consistent brand penetration and new development opportunities.
- Assist in data reporting and analysis for development activities
- Collaborate with colleagues on events, including, but not limited to rentals, the annual fundraiser, member meeting, and holiday party.
- Work alongside Communications and Grants teams to support efforts as needed.
- Provide support to the Development Director.
- Manage and assist Development volunteers with prospecting tasks.
- Represent AFF at public outreach events
- Contribute to social media content creation.
Scope of Work: This position is largely sedentary in nature, however one must possess the ability to speak, hear, and write as well as the ability to use a computer and related software programs and lift up to 25 lbs. Travel in the local area will be required as is a car.
Professional Standards of Conduct
- Exhibit teamwork and cooperation by sharing knowledge, coordinating duties with other staff, and demonstrating the willingness to assist others as needed.
- Exhibit leadership by taking initiative, mentoring, and problem-solving.
- Dress appropriately.
- Use time wisely and meet deadlines.
- Treat staff members, students, teachers, partners and visitors with courtesy and respect.
- Initiate and respond positively to suggestions for improving service.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, including field study reports, data collection, newsletter articles, website and other documents. Assist in documenting AFF activities via digital images and video.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- Promote and support the values and mission of AFF in all outreach and visitor contact.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Attention to detail, highly organized.
- Proven ability to work independently to manage and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical thinking ability.
- Flexible, collaborative approach.
- High level of computer proficiency including Google Drive including Docs, and Sheets, as well as internet-based research.
- Experience with the Kindful database is a plus.
- Familiarity with social media outlets.
- Experience developing and implementing organization and tracking systems.
- Familiarity with basic graphic design principles and experience with Canva is a plus.
Knowledge and Education Required:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Previous experience in development and/or fundraising preferred
HOW TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR
Maintenance Technician – Full Time
Job Title: Maintenance Technician
Salary grade/Entry level: 4th tier (Coordinator Level)
Based at: Prince George’s County, MD
Reports to: Director of Operations
Immediate Supervisor of: Part-Time Farm Staff
Member of: Facilities and Farm Team
Salary Range: $48,000 – $50,000
Alice Ferguson Foundation Mission: Our mission is to connect people to the natural world, sustainable agricultural practices, and the cultural heritage of their local watershed through education, stewardship, and advocacy. Established in 1954, we are a public charity chartered in the state of Maryland
Purpose of the Position: Coordinate and steward the Alice Ferguson Foundation’s land, facilities and farm maintenance including event planning and oversight.
Key Relationships: Immediate supervisor, Immediate reports (those you supervise), outside vendors
Scope of Work: Work takes place at Alice Ferguson Foundation/Hard Bargain Farm in Accokeek, MD. This position is highly physical and active, conducted mainly outdoors in all types of weather. Must possess the ability to lift upwards of 50 lbs.
Relevant Experience and Skills:
- 2-4 years of experience in a field requiring independent work with basic knowledge of the following trades: carpentry, plumbing, glass replacement, painting, masonry, grounds keeping, appliance repair, and electrical wiring, standard practices and tools used in the maintenance and repair of building facilities, safety practices and procedures related to the building trades.
- Skill and Ability to effectively use a variety of hand and power tools, review and identify projects needed to be serviced by outside contractors, follow oral and/or written instructions, communicate effectively in both oral and written form, maintain work log, establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with outside contractors.
- Basic Google Suite and General Computer Knowledge preferred.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, with attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team-based structure, with flexibility under shifting deadlines.
- Excellent oral, written and record-keeping skills.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Use all equipment safely and proficiently, including hay wagon and tractor.
Farm, Facilities, and Land Coordinator
Farm, Facilities, and Land Caretaker
Programs and Events Team Member
The position holder coordinates grounds, farm and facilities maintenance.
The position holder assists in the maintenance of grounds, farm, and facilities.
The position holder attends and supports special events and rentals, as needed; including scheduled weekends.
The position holder supports development and program teams as well as our key partners with event maintenance and logistics.
Examples of value-adding activities
- Routine maintenance for the buildings is performed successfully and routinely.
- Property Issues are mitigated after discussion with the Director of Operations.
- Nature Trails are regularly walked and marked.
- Farm tasks are conducted in a timely manner.
- Landscaping is performed according to schedule.
- Repairs such as painting, digging, and grading are completed in a timely manner.
- The Facilities team is aware of upcoming rentals and events and takes an active role in the execution of these items.
- Assisting the Director of Operations, all permitting for event and rental spaces is acquired in the appropriate time frame.
- Assisted in the set-up and break down of major events.
- Requests sent to the facilities team inbox are addressed in a timely manner.
- Communication when a facilities issue is corrected is completed in a timely manner.
- The Amphitheater Space is kept maintained and communication with Amphitheater partners is consistent.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
Summer Camp Nurse – Seasonal
Job Title: Summer Camp Nurse
Based in: Prince George’s County, MD
Reports to: Summer Camp Director
Member of: Summer Adventure Camp Team
Salary Range: Contracted amount for summer season
Alice Ferguson Foundation Mission: Our mission is to inspire environmental stewardship by giving people the tools to understand, appreciate, and protect nature. Established in 1954, we are a public charity chartered in the state of Maryland.
Position Summary: The Summer Adventure Camp is a nature based summer program that is operated by experienced educators. The Camp Nurse will provide medical guidance and support to the team throughout the 4 week camp program. The nurse will be familiar with the organization’s health protocol, will review camper health forms, and will be accessible to the team for questions.
Scope of Work:
- Accessibility by phone/text/email during 4 weeks of camp season
- Camp Schedule: Monday to Friday from July 8 to August 2, 2024
- Time: 9:00am to 3:00pm (or 6:00pm) with 1 week Overnight
- Reviews and approves Summer Camp’s health protocol
- Offer medical guidance to camp staff
- Weekly review of camper health forms
- Ensures all medical forms are complete and up to date
- Identifies pertinent camper medial needs and concerns
- Double checks medication received
- Weekly meeting with camp director (in person or virtual)
- Reviews incident reports completed by staff
Relevant Experience and Skills:
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Maryland
- Familiarity with medication and medical procedures
- Understands Maryland Department of Health requirements for summer camp
- Prior experience working with children and relevant medical history
HOW TO APPLY: Please email your resume to email@example.com with the subject line CAMP NURSE
Board of Directors – OPEN CALL
Are you interested in joining a cohort of dedicated professionals, learning more about how we work, and supporting the mission of the Alice Ferguson Foundation? Or know someone who is? Alice Ferguson Foundation is holding an open call for board nominations through October. Board terms are two years following the calendar year.
HOW TO APPLY: Send nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line BOARD NOMINATION