Fort Stanton Park was created in 1926 to preserve the hilltops where the Union army constructed Fort Stanton and Battery Rickets to defend the Nation’s Capital during the Civil War. The remains of their earthworks and ditches can still be seen in the woods.
Its more than 150 acres of woods include two stream valleys, stands of towering poplar trees, commanding views hilltop views across the city, and small rock outcroppings.
?Sadly, years of littering and dumping have polluted the landscape. Invasive plant such as kudzu, bittersweet, Asian wisteria, and Japanese knotweed have destroyed whole areas of forest and threaten others.
Join the Ward 9 Woods Conservancy in acting to save this special place before it is too late.