- This event has passed.
Potomac River Cleanup: Earth Day
April 22 @ 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Throughout the world, numerous communities will be taking action on Earth Day to address environmental issues our world faces. You can join us on Earth Day, April 22 2022, to help us take a stand against the trash piling up along the shoreline. We will be focusing our efforts along the Pumpkin Ash trail, around the fishing and kayak piers, and around inlets along the coast. We need volunteers to record data about our collection, volunteers to sort recyclables from trash, and collectors to make our shoreline sparkle! Participating volunteers must be able to walk moderate distances and travel along the uneven terrain of the shoreline. All ages are welcome, but youth must be accompanied by a parent/guardian for the duration of the event. Registration is required for participation, and there will be volunteer forms to fill out upon arrival.
- County: Prince Georges
- Site Type: Park
- Watershed: Middle Potomac
- Suitable for children under seven?: Yes
- RSVP Required: Yes
- Suitable for elderly?: Yes
- Who should participants contact for questions?: Kaylin Beach, School Programs Manager and Volunteer Coordinator
- Suitable for disabled?: No
- Phone/Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maximum Volunteers: 50
- Parking capacity: 100
- Restrooms available?: Yes
- Notes: Volunteers should be able to navigate the shoreline and walk over slippery, fallen logs. There is about a half mile walk to one of the river access points, so volunteers should be able to be on their feet and walk over moderate distances.
- Directions: Address is 3400 Bryan Point Road, Accokeek MD 20607. Can easily be reached by turning at the B&J's Carryout off of Indian Head Highway South, turning right onto Biddle Road, left onto Bryan Point Road. We're at the end of Bryan Point Road, before it turns into Cactus Hill Road. Please park in the Visitor Center parking lot. When you arrive on site, follow the signs that say "All visitors" to the parking lot located off the right of the entrance road. Please drive carefully in the parking lot, as the winter weather has caused several large potholes to form.