- This event has passed.
Potomac River Watershed Cleanup Around American Legion Bridge
April 10, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
The eighth year in a row we’ve been tackling this site. If you want to be put to work and feel as if you’re making a difference, this is the place to come. The American Legion Bridge, the Beltway overpass above the Potomac River, is the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to trash. Whatever you can think of — joint compound buckets, ladders, bottles, car parts — gets blown or thrown off into this area meaning it always needs help. There is much natural beauty here to appreciate but be prepared for highway noise. We will meet in the parking lot at Lockhouse #10 on the C&O Canal then walk up to the bridge area. Please don’t hesitate to e-mail me if you have any questions about how to get to the site.
I’d also like to put a small group to work at the boat ramp at Lock 10 which appears to have been a historical bottle dump. There are shards of glass and ceramics that could be raked up.
Please note that students who participate WILL qualify for service hours — just bring your form with you for me to sign. If it’s raining (drizzle OK) the event will be called off.
The National Park Service wants me to get all volunteers to sign a volunteer service agreement form (I know, I hate the bureaucracy, too). Please print one out (see the following link) and bring it with you. Thanks! http://fergusonfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2017-NPS-volunteer-form.pdf
UPDATE 4/8/21 As of today the weather looks as if it will hold up for this Saturday. If we have rain it seems it will happen later in the day. A few light showers will not be enough to deter me from the cleanup since we get support from National Park Service and Canal Trust to remove trash so infrequently. Be prepared for damp underbrush from previous rain showers. Feel free to text me at 301-633-1012 if you have any questions. I will try to sleep in until around 8 that morning, though.
- County: Montgomery
- Site Type: River
- Watershed: Middle Potomac
- RSVP Required: No
- Suitable for children under seven?: No
- Who should participants contact for questions?: Beth Rogers
- Suitable for elderly?: No
- Phone/Email: email@example.com
- Suitable for disabled?: No
- Maximum Volunteers: 15
- Parking capacity: 8
- Restrooms available?: No
- Directions: Park at Lockhouse 10 on the Clara Barton Parkway. To access the parking lot (legally), one must drive west on the CB Parkway, outside the Beltway, then double back at Carderock and head eastbound until you see the parking lot on the right hand side. You can also take the Beltway and avoid this U-turn. People who are familiar with the area could park on 83rd Street or 83rd Place in Cabin John and walk over (crossing the Clara Barton Parkway). I have informed the National Park Service that we will be cleaning this area between the hours of 9 and noon on and have permission to park outside the marked area during that time (but NOT in the driveway to the lock house). Please e-mail me with any parking questions. We will meet in the parking lot, then walk west to the American Legion Bridge (Beltway) where there is ample work to be done.