- This event has passed.
Williamsport, MD, C&O Canal Cleanup
April 9 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
The section to be cleaned up stretches from the railroad bridge over the canal up to the I-81 overpass. Organizers will gather at the boat-ramp beginning at 10 a.m. The clean-up will run from 10-noon. Bags, relevant equipment and disposable gloves will be provided. Please see notes below for important information.
- County: Washington
- Site Type: Park
- Watershed: Middle Potomac
- Sub Watershed: Connococheague
- Suitable for children under seven?: No
- RSVP Required: Yes
- Suitable for elderly?: No
- Who should participants contact for questions?: Eric Schwartz
- Suitable for disabled?: No
- Phone/Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maximum Volunteers: 15
- Parking capacity: 15
- Restrooms available?: Yes
- Notes: Bathroom facilities consist of a pot-a-potty at the parking lot next to Lockhouse #44 (0.4 miles from the boat ramp), and park restrooms at the Cushwa Basin parking area (0.2 miles away). Remember to bring your own water and snacks. There are no vendors at this site. Be sure to dress appropriately, in long pants, long sleeves, sturdy shoes (hiking shoes preferred), and hat and sunglasses. Include sunscreen and insect repellant in your supplies and if you prefer, bring your own heavy-duty work gloves. The section to be cleaned up stretches from the railroad bridge over the canal up to the I-81 overpass. Organizers will gather at the boat-ramp beginning at 10 a.m. The clean-up will run from 10-noon. Bags, relevant equipment and disposable gloves will be provided. Please pre-register on the Sierra Club Campfire site (link included below) but keep in mind that this is not a Sierra Club sponsored event. If you are unable to register on the site please contact the site leader, Eric Schwartz, by email. email@example.com
- Directions: Follow I81 South from Hagerstown, MD. Take Exit #2 towards US 11 South towards Williamsport. Keep right at the fork onto US 11. Continue straight on Route 11 until you come to N. Vermont Street. It is just past the Zion Lutheran Church on your right. Turn left onto N. Vermont Street and in one block turn right onto W. Salisbury Street. The boat ramp and parking lot will be at the end of W. Salisbury Street.