- This event has passed.
Potomac Watershed Cleanup at Greenbelt Park 2022
April 23 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Saturday April 23, 2023 8:45 a.m. – Noon
Pre-registration will be required. Not available yet
This year’s cleanup will take place at over 300 sites at different sites throughout April in the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and West Virginia – all part of the lands, or watershed, that drain into the Potomac. Locations include fields, forests, parking lots and other ‘inland’ sites, where the trash can be removed before it enters creeks and other waterways.
Why Participate? The Foundation’s Annual Potomac River Watershed Cleanup has become a decisive catalyst for progress that ignites people throughout the watershed with the Ferguson’s community spirit. The largest regional event of its kind, the Cleanup provides a transforming experience that engages citizens and community leaders and generates momentum for change.
Why Have a Watershed Cleanup? The Potomac River provides 480 million gallons of drinking water to the Washington area and 100 millions of ground water to rural regions. It is a symbol of the health of our community. What does it say about us when we allow trash to line the river shoreline and lodge in its streambeds? Plastic bottles, Styrofoam, food wrappers, coffee cups — you name it, and it’s in Our Potomac River and tributaries! How did most of this trash get there? As water washes down our sidewalks and streets, then into storm drains, it carries with it whatever is in its path. Storm drains then dump the water and litter into nearby tributaries, or into the river itself.
- County: Prince Georges County
- Site Type: Park
- Watershed: Anacostia
- Sub Watershed: Still Creek
- Suitable for children under seven?: No
- RSVP Required: Yes
- Suitable for elderly?: No
- Who should participants contact for questions?: Park Staff
- Suitable for disabled?: No
- Phone/Email: 301-344-3944
- Maximum Volunteers: 40
- Parking capacity: 50
- Restrooms available?: Yes
- Directions: Our park address is 6565 Greenbelt Road Greenbelt, Maryland 20770. GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude): 38.98389, -76.89333 38°59'2"N, 76°53'36"W Off I-95 South Take Exit 23 Route 201 Kenilworth Avenue South(toward Bladensburg). (this will be a left). Drive on Kenilworth Avenue (Route 201). Once crossing over I-95, you will see sign for Route 193 Greenbelt Road. Veer right to Take Route 193 East. Take a left on Greenbelt Road . (Greenbelt Road is Route 193 and is an overpass over Route 201) The park entrance is a quarter mile on the right hand side of Greenbelt Road across from Fridays restaurant and Marriott Courtyard. From I-95 North (points north) Take Exit 23 Route 201 Kenilworth Avenue South (toward Bladensburg). Upon exiting I-95, Take a right on Route 201 (Southbound). Veer right and you will see Route 193, Greenbelt Road. Take a left on Greenbelt Road . (Greenbelt Road is an overpass over Route 201 that is also known as Route 193.) The park is a quarter mile on the right hand side of Greenbelt Road across from Fridays restaurant and Marriott Courtyard. From Washington, D.C. Take (Route 295) Baltimore-Washington Parkway. Take Greenbelt Road west ( It's the exit right after I-95) Veer right onto Route 193 Greenbelt Road West. The Greenway shopping center on the left. Proceed on Route 193 Greenbelt Road west.